Caseville United Methodist Church
The United Methodist Church is an 11-million-strong global church that opens hearts, opens doors and opens minds through active engagement with our world. John Wesley and the early Methodists placed primary emphasis on Christian living, on putting faith and love into action. This emphasis on what Wesley referred to as "practical divinity" has continued to be a hallmark of United Methodistism today. To learn more about our faith, please click here.
Years ago there was a small group of pioneer who worshiped in houses, lumber camps or in a school. The first settlement here at the mouth of the Pigeon River was first called Port Elizabeth. During those early years circuit rider Ministers served those settlers from Lexington along the Lake Huron shore. This was called the Forestville circuit. Eventually, there was a shanty erected on the south side of the river close to the rivers mouth near an old indian apple tree where Sunday School was held. In 1861, Sunday School was cancelled because of the Civil War. The Congregation was formally organized on September 26, 1868 as the Caseville United Methodist Episcopal Church. On November 15, 1874 the church building was dedicated. In 1983 an addition was completed for classrooms and offices on the rear of the church.
he Caseville United Methodist Church is proud to be celebrating 145 years of building up God's Kingdom along the western shoreline of Michigan's Thumb. Often referred to as "the Most Photographed Church in Michigan," the faith-community is blessed to worship in the 139 year-old Gothic-inspired building, with its 70-foot-high steeple. The tallest and most visible building in town remains largely unchanged since it's construction in 1874. Countless parishioners and guests alike have marveled at the church's elegant stained-glass windows and raised-tin wall and ceiling coverings. Built in an era when people lived and worshiped differently, the church has changed with times, adding expected modern conveniences so as to stay relevant, but retained its historic look and feel. This church is a living and thriving manifestation of the church visible, and like Jesus, is the same yesterday, today and forever. May the Good News proclaimed in this church since 1868 along the shores of Lake Huron be carried on until completion on the day of Jesus' coming.
Once inside the church one can still feel the influence of innumerable prayers and hymns by the many people that have worshiped through the years. At the same time people will see many reminders of basic Christian faith throughout the interior in the form of Christian symbols that are incorporated in the décor.
Not only has the Church been a major landmark on main street but has created a very positive Christian influence by helping the community at large by various charitable influences. The Helping Hands & Thrift Shop (2001) across the street from the Church is a working example of how a congregation can effectively demonstrate it’s faith.
When inside the sanctuary with the worshipers, friends abound, Christian friends. Everyone is blessed.
The purpose of the Caseville United Methodist Church is to communicate the Good News of Jesus so all persons are motivated to reach out in love to this community and beyond, that everyone, regardless of background, find an atmosphere of support and encouragement to worship Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
The purpose of the Caseville United Methodist Church is to communicate the good news of Jesus so all persons are motivated to reach out in love to this community and beyond, that everyone, regardless of background, find an atmosphere of support and encouragement to worship Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.